Wednesday, March 23, 2011

WE ARE ALL ONE AND THE SAME

Over the last couple days, I’ve had a couple more experiences that have only strengthened the belief “His Holiness” the Dalai Lama makes in the book, “The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World,” and that belief was that we, as people, are all one and the same. In thinking about my experiences, maybe they actually just support how similar a few people all the way over in India are to me, but even if that’s the case, I still think these experiences support the Dalai Lama’s philosophy.

As for the experiences, my first was when I gave Mike, our “homeless philanthropist,” a new shirt to wear after we gave him a bath, haircut, and shave at one of the dispensaries the Sister’s operate. How this experience turned into a Mike and I are “one and the same” moment, was when I noticed Mike taking the V-neck in his new shirt and making his best attempt at squeezing it together to make it a less revealing letter in the alphabet, perhaps an “l”. Just like Mike, I too, can’t say I’ve ever been a big fan of “V-neck” shirts as they also leave me feeling a little naked up top. Not that I have anything against the “V-neck” or anyone that wears them, but it’s just not for me.

My second “we are all one and the same” experience occurred as I watched an Indian clerk trying to secretly place a piece of tape on the back of another coworker of his and the only way I could have had more satisfaction in watching this play out was if I was the Indian clerk himself. Unfortunately, I can’t say the Indian clerk was successful in his operation and if I could have spoke Hindi or Bengali, I would have told him for future attempts that he should try and go with the “good to see ya” tactic where you say exactly those words to your victim while simultaneously giving them a friendly slap on the back. It works every time. Not sure why sneaking a piece of tape on someone’s back without them knowing about it is so much fun, but I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good adrenaline rush who doesn't want to have to jump out of an airplane to get it.

We can make someone as different to us as we want or as similar and where that person falls in relation to us as the Dalai Lama says, "just all depends on what we want to focus on." Since differences divide the world and similarities brings everyone together, I figure I'm gonna do my best to CARE MORE about the similarities from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment