Sunday, March 20, 2011


In alcoholic’s anonymous classes, they say the first step to recovery is to acknowledge the truth of things and admit your addiction.   Although I’m thankfully not an alcoholic, I do think I can benefit by applying this rule of recovery to the Zag’s game against BYU last night and accept the fact that they lost.    When I said in an earlier post that Fredette from BYU was going to bring fireworks to the game that would make the Chinese jealous, I was mistaken.  What I should have said was that his fireworks would have made God jealous, or in this particular instance, maybe it would be more appropriate for me to say Joseph Smith.   Humble in defeat, I must tip my hat to BYU though and give them the credit they deserve and with another early exit for the Zags, I’ll just go with my default “just wait until you see us next year” line.   Seriously though, watch out for the Zags in 2012.

With my step of recovery now out of the way, I can now continue with where I left off in my last blog, which was Chiang Mai.   Since we got to Chiang Mai pretty late on our first night, Doan and I didn’t do too much, unless you consider us having a couple cocktails, me eating about 4 trays of complimentary popcorn, and a Thai prostitute inviting herself to our table to try her best sales pitch as “too much.”   Although this particular prostitute didn’t get the interest she desired from our table, there was a gentleman to the left of us that was happy to negotiate.    An exchange like that just mentioned wasn’t really our first since being in Thailand and it wouldn’t be the last and it touches on an aspect of Thailand that I personally found to be quite sad for both parties involved.   Sad for the girls, because obviously, they are capable of so much more in life and they deserve a whole lot more out of life.  Sad for the buyers, because I think in many cases, these people are very lonely inside and they’re missing that companion in life that can make life so much more beautiful.  
Day two on our Chiang Mai adventure, found us in a tour van at about 8:30 in the morning headed in the direction of a National Park, where the final destination of the trip would leave us at the highest elevation point in Thailand.    The park itself was everything a national park should be as we got to drive around in the mountains and visit a couple waterfalls, a Burmese village, a local Thai market, and some temples.   Once we got to the highest point in Thailand, the weather decided to steal the view from us and keep it all to itself, but at the very least, I can say I stood on the highest point in Thailand.   After getting back from the tour, Doan and I asked the front desk at our hotel where we could find a good place to eat with some live Thai music.  I can’t recall the name of the place we ended up going to, but if you’re ever up here, just ask where the place is that you’ll be the only foreigners out of about 500 people and where everyone makes the area right next to their table their own personal dance floor and I bet you’ll get pointed in the right direction.   Outside of a small confrontation where a Thai guy grabbed a fork off his table to help him “reason” with his enemy, the night was a lot of fun and we had the pleasure of meeting a couple Thai guys that loved seeing us there just as much as we loved seeing them.   When considering that our Thai was limited to “Hello,” “thank you,” and “beautiful,” we could only talk so long to these new friends of ours before we had to resort to the language of buying them drinks and giving them a “cheers” every now and then, and they seemed to like that language just fine. 
Below, you’ll find some pics from Krabi that I've been slow in getting posted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment