Saturday, February 19, 2011

I'M NOT AN "INCH YOUR WAY INTO THE POOL" KIND OF GUY

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to be put in a situation where by all accounts a good Hindu taxi cab driver was more concerned with ripping me off for a few extra rupees than he was helping me transport a person in great need off the streets, it would make me want to rip the religious stickers off his dashboard and throw them out the window.  Hypothetically speaking of course.   If I were to have an experience like this, it would  make me reflect shortly thereafter on my own life and whether or not I’m no different than the taxi driver and it would also make me wonder if we live in a world where greater value is put on us looking good, instead of actually being good.  As long as you have a Christian fish on your car bumper you’re a good person right--even if you spend more time pointing out another person's flaws than working on your own.  And as long as you have a nice car and big house, that’s success isn’t it--even if you’re the primary reason on why people hate coming to work every day.  If Gandhi was still alive today, I’d be curious if we’ve given him a reason for his “I’ll take your Christ, but not your Christians” comment to take the form of more of a whisper now or if he would have even more of a reason to scream it out—nonviolently of course.  Regardless of what tone Gandhi would speak to us with today, I know I can CARE MORE about being good and care less about looking good.  

In other news, I had what I’d consider my 1st competitive match with the “Rafael Nadal” of badminton in a doubles match on our court yesterday, and needless to say, it was a humbling experience.  In my defense, I’ve been retired for nearly 6 years now and so I’ve had to dust the cobwebs off of my hand eye coordination a bit.  By the end of the match, I’d say the oak of my coordination was beginning to shine again in certain spots, especially my serves, but it’s gonna take me a couple more matches to get my entire glow back.  Loss aside, the match gave my skills a much needed tune up, it caressed my competitor’s ego, and my badminton racket wasn’t broken across my leg or anything so it was a win/win/win for everyone.

In closing, if you’re at all curious as to how the cold showers are coming along...they’re still uncomfortably cold and I don't see this fact changing in the foreseeable future as I can't seem to figure out what I’d call the “jump in the pool and get it over with” tactic in the shower.  I've never really been an "inch your way into the pool" kind of guy, but I guess this provides me with a great opportunity for personal growth and that's why I'm up here right?

           

No comments:

Post a Comment