Friday, February 25, 2011

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU READ!

If you’re a Jeopardy wiz and you have no problem "betting it all" on that final question at the end of the show, come to India as a single person like me and the people here will provide you with a couple more questions that will surely test your wit.  The questions...when are you getting married and when are you coming back to India?  Timer begins now....go!  And by the way, there’s no life lines in this round so don’t even think about calling God on these ones.  If you weren’t able to answer these questions, I have one recommendation for you-- get your life figured out already would ya!  

What’s interesting to me is that if Indians are expecting that I have an answer for the two questions mentioned above, why stop there.  Don’t you want to know how long I’ll live my life too?  Or how many kids I’ll have and what universities they’ll go to?  Or what about who the President of the U.S. will be in 2036? And most importantly, when will Gonzaga win a national championship?  

Last night, I just finished up reading my second to last book out of the six that I’ve brought on my travels and upon finishing it, I think it’s important for me, as everyone’s friend reading this blog, to warn you of the danger in the books you read.  If your reading a romance novel or another fiction book on the shelf, you're safe for the most part so do me a favor and pick your edition of  "The Twilight" back up and let me know if it's Edward or Jacob that wins over Bella's heart because the suspense is killing me.  With respect to fiction, just don’t read “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho or you might end up buying 100 copies, wrapping them up in bows, and randomly dropping them off around town during Christmas with the hopes that people will “follow their heart.”  That book is definitely dangerous.  So what are the other books you have to be careful about?  It's the one's like "Strength to Love" by Martin Luther King Jr. and "Lincoln The Unknown" by Dale Carnegie that are the dangerous ones because unlike the “Harry Potter” that gives us an escape from the world, these ones inspire us to stay in the world and change it for the better.   It’s these kind of nonfiction books that make a person quit their job, go volunteer in Kolkata, and start writing CARE MORE this and CARE MORE that.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not telling you to not read these kinds of books, but I’m just saying to be very, very, very careful if you do because the side effects of these books are much more powerful then drowsiness, headaches, lack of appetite, upset stomach, cramps, blurred vision, and dizziness. 

Last, but by far the least, the Gonzaga Bulldogs won a overtime thriller against their rival St. Mary's last night that gives them the chance of continuing their streak of sharing or winning outright the WCC conference title.  This win also gets them much needed points that can only help their chances of potentially getting an "at large" birth into the Big Dance if they happen to lose in the WCC tournament.  Yet again, I'm sure all of you already knew this though so I'm just preaching to the choir.  

Go Zags! 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment