Saturday, February 26, 2011

ANOTHER FIRST

So I’m at the Internet cafe in the process of paying for my time spent surfing the web and the kid working the desk asks me in total seriousness, “Are you an NBA basketball player?” I’ll admit, walking around Kolkata, does make me feel about 6” taller than the 6’ I’d like to think that I am, but NBA basketball player? If my height makes me an NBA basketball player around here, I think that would make Shaquille O’neal the Empire State building...forgive me, the Shaqtire State building as I’m sure he’d like to be referred to as. I know I’ll be fine with coming back home in the end of April, but I’m not so sure I can say the same thing about my ego as I could see it calling up American Airlines and paying an extra $300 for an extended stay if it keeps getting compliments like the one at the cafe today.

Although volunteering today was without real event for me, I’m not sure if you could say the same thing for Mike, a.k.a. “my other second half.” In all actuality, Mike’s days are not only full of event, but they’re full of discoveries as he is always finding hidden treasure lying around. I can’t say the treasures that Mike comes across are diamonds, but that won’t keep Mike from thinking that the bracelet, hair comb, key, piece of wire, plastic bag, or food aren’t of the same value and it’s quite fun to watch because it reminds me of when I was a kid. Not the kid stage of when I sprayed WD-40 in my mouth and we had to call poison control, but the times when I too, would let my imagination run wild; transforming the littlest of things into the biggest—rocks to jewels, popsicle sticks to boats, and in my elementary yrs a rubber band, staple, elastic string and a cue tip into a medieval cross bow. If Mike didn’t have as much of an imagination as he already did, I may have let him get an “enhancement” and let him drink the half bottle of cough syrup that he found today like he wanted to, but I figured it wouldn’t be a good idea for him and so I drank it instead.

And Mom, of course I didn’t drink the cough syrup we found so don’t worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment